The local stakeholders meeting of Social Green project: The role of the public sector in the management of housing
Kohtla-Järve, 19th of September 2017
Background and aim of the meeting
The aim of the meeting was to continue the discussion on housing management issues in local government related subjects, to inform participants about the progress of the related activities, and to provide an overview of the meetings held in the municipalities.
The topic is important for more efficient managing of housing problems at local government level and for developing possible additional national support measures to deal with the regions with declining population. In addition to real estate owners, the role of local governments and state authorities as regulatory and guiding partners is also crucial for ensuring the sustainability of the renovation of the building stock and increasing energy efficiency.
Local stakeholders meetings are an important input for the discussion on housing management, a guiding material for local authorities that can be used for further planning and regulation of residential housing in regions with declining population and for drafting proposals for housing policy support measures.
The encountered situation and solutions to different housing management issues were discussed with involved parties. The practical examples from Ida-Virumaa and Tartu were introduced and discussed.
– Introduction to the content and goals of the Social Green project (TREA).
– Overview of the housing problems in Kohtla-Järve (Kohtla-Järve Municipality Government).
– The cooperation between apartment associations and city government in solving the problems of housing (The association of the chairmen of Kohtla-Järve apartment associations).
– Housing management in a region with a declining population – experience of Kiviõli town (Kiviõli Municipality Government).
– Housing management experience in the municipality – experience of Tartu city (Tartu Municipality Government).
– The management of housing in the regions with declining population (TREA).
– How to deal with debtors? Processing the debt claims (The Association of Estonian Apartment Associations).
– The role of the state, local government and apartment associations in mitigating and managing the housing problems (the discussion).