Project activities: The EU has called on countries of central and eastern Europe (CEE) to do more to meet its 2050 net-zero emissions goals. Based on an assessment of national energy and climate plans, CEE countries need to boost their potentials for efficient use of energy. The EU-funded CEESEU project will help build the capacity of public administrators in CEE countries to promote increased energy efficiency, sustainable energy, reduced carbon emissions and improved climate change adaptability. Specifically, the project will develop training materials for public administrators in the CEE countries. It will also engage stakeholders and guide CEE municipalities and other actors to implement the Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plan (SECAP).
CEE municipalities have lagged behind their Western European counterparts in developing SECAPs due to a number of reasons such as a lack of awareness and interest in the planning process, lack of expertise, capacity and access to resources as well as the need for outreach strategies or procedural changes by EU level actors, such as the Covenant of Mayors (CoM), that will better address the unique circumstances of the CEE. Overall, the project will seek better alignment of national and regional plans.
CEESEU project will:
- Create training materials and train local public administrators in the CEE on developing and implementing SECAPs, taking into account the specific contexts of CEE communities;
- Guide CEE municipalities in engaging with stakeholders and carrying out multi-level governance to develop SECAPs;
- Guide CEE municipalities in financing and implementing SECAP actions;
- Improve engagement between public administrators in the CEE and with the EU;
- Offer guidance to the CoM and other EU actors on how to better reach and serve the needs of CEE municipalities in the development and implementation of SECAPs.
- 650 GWh of energy savings by the end of the project;
- Improved capacity and skills of at least 645 public administrators in CEE municipalities;
- Better alignment of national and regional development plans with SECAPs in the CEESEU countries and improved national and regional sustainable energy and energy efficiency policies;
- At least 25 mln Euros of sustainable energy and climate change adaptation investments.
- Juhtpartner: TREA (Estonia)
- Conplusultra GMBH (Austria);
- Lokalna energetska agentura spodnje podravje zavod za promocijo in pospesevanje trajnostnega energetskega razvoja ptuj (Slovenia);
- Vidzemes planosanas regions (Latvia);
- WWF vilag termeszeti alap magyarorszag alapitvany (Hungary);
- Mazowiecka agencja energetyczna spzoo (Poland);
- Agentia Locala a Energiei Alba (Romania);
- Medimurska energetska agencija doo (Croatia);
- Enviros sro (Czechia);
- Climate alliance (Germany).
Project homepage: https://cordis.europa.eu/project/id/892270
This web site reflects the views of the author. The managing authority of the programme is not liable for how this information may be used.